Wednesday, January 23, 2013
It has been a whirlwind of events over the last few weeks and we wanted to share what has been going on with our adoption. Almost four weeks ago we heard reports that the Russian parliament was discussing a ban of adoptions to the U.S. We felt that this was propaganda and were confident that our adoption would move forward. Things became more interesting when the law was passed by both houses of parliament. The situation still seemed surreal and did not become reality until we received a call on Christmas afternoon from CBS This Morning requesting an interview on the adoption ban. Those tears were the first we shed on the subject and wouldn't be the last.
A few days later the bill was signed by the Russian President and put into law effective January 1, 2013. This situation was now different to our previous setback - this time the ban was actual law. Since January 1 there have been discussions regarding the recently signed bilateral agreement between the U.S. and Russia. The agreement has a one year termination provision and the Department of State has been working with Russian officials on the interpretation of the termination. This is what is clear as of today: the Russian Supreme Court has ruled that all adoptions with court approval prior to January 1 will be allowed to proceed. This is great news for the dozens of families in this situation, but provides no clarity for others further behind in the process. The Department of State conveyed a pessimistic outlook to the in-process families but would continue to work on our behalf.
Once the adoption ban was finalized we began to discuss our options. Should we stop the process? Hope for Russia to revoke the ban? Move to a different country? There are hundreds of families asking the same questions. First, we decided to continue our adoption regardless of the final Russia decision. We know God has called us to a son and may be preparing or redirecting us for our good and his own purpose. Second, we decided to hope for Russia. We are leaving all of our documents in country should the Russian government allow us to move forward. Lastly, we have decided to proceed with an adoption from another country...but not in the way we thought.